Posts for tag: Achilles tendon injuries
Pro Athletes Not the Only Ones at Risk for Achilles Tendon Problems
You don't have to be an accomplished athlete to suffer Achilles tendon injuries. They can happen from household tasks like climbing a ladder. Achilles tendon weakness is common in adults. But seeking treatment when symptoms occur can prevent more serious injury.
Achilles tendon injuries happen most often to less conditioned, "weekend warrior" athletes who overdo it. Ruptures of the Achilles tendon can occur from simply climbing a ladder quickly.
The Achilles tendon is the longest and strongest tendon in the body. It is subjected to considerable wear and tear. When the tendon becomes inflamed from overuse, or sudden stress, tendonitis can weaken it over time and cause microscopic tears.
People risk further deterioration and possible rupture when they don't seek medical care for Achilles tendon injuries. The main symptoms of Achilles tendonitis are pain, stiffness and tenderness. Pain occurs in the morning, improves with motion, but gets worse with increasing stress and activity.
Treatments for an acute Achilles tendon injury includes:
Immobilization with a cam walker boot to promote healing of the tendon.
Ice to reduce swelling.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication to reduce pain and inflammation.
Physical therapy to strengthen the tendon.
Surgery, if other approaches fail to restore the tendon to its normal condition.
To find out more about Achilles tendon injuries please refer to our website at: Carolinafootspecialists.net
- March (4)
- January (7)
- Bridge run Training Schedule/Tips on Running
- Running shoes that match your foot type
- NFL quarterback suffers stress fracture of foot
- Heal that Heel and Foot Pain
- State of the art surgical treatment for Plantar Fasciitis
- Limb length difference causing heel pain
- Bridge run Foot Injury Prevention series 2011
- November (3)
- September (4)
- March (3)
- Stress fractures athletes (1)
- plantar fasciitis (4)
- Orthotics (1)
- Turf Toe (1)
- Running (1)
- Cooper River Bridge Run Foot Injury Preventio (1)
- heel pain (4)
- Foot skin cancer prevention (1)
- heel pain/plantar fasciitis (1)
- Bunions (3)
- Achilles tendon injuries (1)
- Pediatric foot pain (1)
- Foot care (1)
- hammer toes (1)
- Foot pain (1)
- stress fractures (1)
- Foot Screening (1)
- Peripheral Neuropathy (1)
- Lisfrancs ligament tear (1)
- Bridge run foot Injury Prevention series 2011 (3)
- Bridge Run-Foot injury Prevention series 2010 (1)
- Stress fracture (1)
- Bridge Run (2)
- Neuromas (1)
- Onychomycosis/fungal toenails (1)
- Ingrown toenail surgery (2)
- Lisfrancs injury (1)